1923 Ansaldo 6AN Dual Cowl Torpedo Tourer

Ansaldo 6AN Dual Cowl Torpedo Tourer

Year: 1923
Chassis no: 6049
Registration: SV 9441
Price: £85,000.00

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1923 Ansaldo 6AN Dual Cowl Torpedo Tourer  For Sale.


Registration no. SV 9441
Chassis no: 6049
Engine no: 6070S

Coachwork by Carrozzeria Ansaldo

 One of Italy's largest engineering groups, they had no less than 5 factories in Italy. They built fighter aircraft for the First World War, Ansaldo also built ships, submarines, railway engines, buses, tractors and armoured cars.The crossed cannons on the radiator badge signifies the fact that they first built cannons. 

 Ansaldo needed to find a use for its Turin aero engine factory after WWI and decided to diversify into motor manufacturing. 

 Production of an advanced light car - the Tipo 4 - commenced in 1919. Designed by Ansaldo's chief engineer, Guido Soria, it was powered by an overhead-camshaft four-cylinder engine displacing 1,847cc and featured an American-style central gearchange to the three-speed 'box. 

 In 1923 Ansaldo introduced four-wheel brakes to the range and launched its first six-cylinder model, the 1,990cc 6AN. Ansaldo seemed to have established itself in the motoring marketplace when the group was broken up on Mussolini's orders in 1927, the car division being sold to Macchi. 

 Soria found employment elsewhere but had left designs for two luxury cars on the drawing board, which appeared after he left. Car production fizzled out during the early 1930s, though the Ansaldo name subsequently appeared on Viberti-built trolleybuses. 

 This 1923 Ansaldo Torpedo De Luxe is one of only two vintage examples in the world, with the other car being in New Zealand. This example was also originally from New Zealand and the first owner was Jack Sampson of Christchurch.

 In the early 1920’s, due to the economy most of the Italian Car Companies were owned by the government. The Italian Government were in debt to New Zealand for imports, mainly due to the cost of the First World War. In lieu of payment, Italy send no less than fifty-five Ansaldo cars to New Zealand.

 There are believed to be only three Ansaldo cars in mainland U.K. and one in Northern Ireland. Two of these are owned by the current vendor and the other by a friend, all were from New Zealand originally, and had original Italian Coachwork from new.

 A body-off restoration was undertaken circa 2003/2004 when works carried out include a re-spray, rewiring the electrics (using correct cotton braided cabling) and an engine rebuild. 

The engine rebuild involved re-boring the cylinders to 66mm (1mm oversize), fitting new, forged pistons, fully floating gudgeon pin conversion, lightly regrinding the crankshaft, white metalling the main and big-end bearings, renewing all studs in stainless steel; fitting a new duplex timing chain, reconditioning the oil and water pumps, overhauling the cylinder head and fitting new valves, and refilling the block with anti-freeze. 

 The engine is single overhead camshaft with incline valves. The bore and stroke are 66mm x 100mm giving a capacity of 2 litres. The car returns an average off 22 miles to the gallon. Castrol R oil is used for the engine.

 The current vendor has carried out various improvements, such as the sourcing of correct running boards and Ansaldo kick plates, and a radiator re-core. The maintenance has always been carried out to the highest of standards which is noticeable by the incredibly smooth running engine.

 A true delight to drive and a beauty to see, in our showrooms and ready for viewing.

 

Office 01442 236711

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673                      

Christoff Cowens 07772 188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :

Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1923 Ansaldo 6AN Dual Cowl Torpedo Tourer  For Sale.


Registration no. SV 9441
Chassis no: 6049
Engine no: 6070S

Coachwork by Carrozzeria Ansaldo

 One of Italy's largest engineering groups, they had no less than 5 factories in Italy. They built fighter aircraft for the First World War, Ansaldo also built ships, submarines, railway engines, buses, tractors and armoured cars.The crossed cannons on the radiator badge signifies the fact that they first built cannons. 

 Ansaldo needed to find a use for its Turin aero engine factory after WWI and decided to diversify into motor manufacturing. 

 Production of an advanced light car - the Tipo 4 - commenced in 1919. Designed by Ansaldo's chief engineer, Guido Soria, it was powered by an overhead-camshaft four-cylinder engine displacing 1,847cc and featured an American-style central gearchange to the three-speed 'box. 

 In 1923 Ansaldo introduced four-wheel brakes to the range and launched its first six-cylinder model, the 1,990cc 6AN. Ansaldo seemed to have established itself in the motoring marketplace when the group was broken up on Mussolini's orders in 1927, the car division being sold to Macchi. 

 Soria found employment elsewhere but had left designs for two luxury cars on the drawing board, which appeared after he left. Car production fizzled out during the early 1930s, though the Ansaldo name subsequently appeared on Viberti-built trolleybuses. 

 This 1923 Ansaldo Torpedo De Luxe is one of only two vintage examples in the world, with the other car being in New Zealand. This example was also originally from New Zealand and the first owner was Jack Sampson of Christchurch.

 In the early 1920’s, due to the economy most of the Italian Car Companies were owned by the government. The Italian Government were in debt to New Zealand for imports, mainly due to the cost of the First World War. In lieu of payment, Italy send no less than fifty-five Ansaldo cars to New Zealand.

 There are believed to be only three Ansaldo cars in mainland U.K. and one in Northern Ireland. Two of these are owned by the current vendor and the other by a friend, all were from New Zealand originally, and had original Italian Coachwork from new.

 A body-off restoration was undertaken circa 2003/2004 when works carried out include a re-spray, rewiring the electrics (using correct cotton braided cabling) and an engine rebuild. 

The engine rebuild involved re-boring the cylinders to 66mm (1mm oversize), fitting new, forged pistons, fully floating gudgeon pin conversion, lightly regrinding the crankshaft, white metalling the main and big-end bearings, renewing all studs in stainless steel; fitting a new duplex timing chain, reconditioning the oil and water pumps, overhauling the cylinder head and fitting new valves, and refilling the block with anti-freeze. 

 The engine is single overhead camshaft with incline valves. The bore and stroke are 66mm x 100mm giving a capacity of 2 litres. The car returns an average off 22 miles to the gallon. Castrol R oil is used for the engine.

 The current vendor has carried out various improvements, such as the sourcing of correct running boards and Ansaldo kick plates, and a radiator re-core. The maintenance has always been carried out to the highest of standards which is noticeable by the incredibly smooth running engine.

 A true delight to drive and a beauty to see, in our showrooms and ready for viewing.

 

Office 01442 236711

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673                      

Christoff Cowens 07772 188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :

Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE & PRESTIGE CLASSIC CARS LTD
Company reg. no: 0991 0504