Chassis no: BC63AR
Registration: 11 BCC
Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1960 Bentley S2 Continental Flying Spur 6-light Saloon by H.J. Mulliner For Sale.
Registration: 11 BCC
Chassis no: BC63AR
Engine no: A62BC
This Bentley S2 Continental features the elegant, H J Mulliner-designed, 'Flying Spur' four-door coachwork, and is one of only 71 with right-hand drive out of a total of 125 completed in this style on the S2 chassis.
Having relied exclusively on six-cylinder engines since civilian production resumed at the war's end, Rolls-Royce secured its long-term future by turning to V8 power as the 1960s approached. Introduced in the autumn of 1959, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2 appeared externally unchanged from their Silver Cloud and S-Type predecessors, though their performance was considerably enhanced by the new 6,230cc aluminium-alloy engine.
Power-assisted steering was now standard and there was no longer the option of a manual gearbox, Rolls-Royce's own four-speed automatic transmission being the sole offering.
The S2 Continental chassis differed by virtue of its shorter radiator, four-leading-shoe front drum brakes and - up to chassis number BC99BY - higher gearing. Independent coachbuilders continued to offer alternatives to the factory's 'standard steel' bodywork, perhaps the most stylish being those produced to cloth the Bentley Continental which was, of course, only ever available with bespoke coachwork.
Rolls-Royce had envisaged the Bentley Continental as exclusively a two-door car, but late in 1957 the decision was taken to sanction the production of a four-door variation by H J Mulliner. Introduced on the S1 Continental and known as the 'Flying Spur', this design was a collaborative effort by Rolls-Royce's in-house styling department and H J Mulliner, and bore a strong resemblance both to the two-door Continental and to existing coachbuilt four-door styles on Rolls-Royce and (non-Continental) Bentley chassis.
To the Continental's existing qualities of pace and elegance, the Flying Spur added four-door practicality, a more spacious interior and generously proportioned boot. The Flying Spur body style continued on the V8-engined S2 Continental and was revised to incorporate the S3's four-headlamp front end following the latter's introduction in 1962.
Chassis number BC63 AR was originally ordered by Sir Duncan Orr-Lewis. The car was coach built by Mulliner in the following year. Service records for Nov 61 - July 62 show the car in the care of Jack Barclay, and the ownership of Maxwell Joseph of Clarges St in Mayfair W1.1974 show a the car in the ownership of Harold Garratt who used the car for regular holidays to yorkshire and scotland, and trips to rugby internationals at Twickenham where it was always parked in the west car park.
From 1992 until his death in 2004 the car was stored in the garage at his family home. since then, the car was re-commissioned by the family at a cost of close to £20,000 at the renowned RR&B of Bromsgrove.
The current owner who purchased the S2 in 2010 has commissioned the following work:
- Bare metal respray
- New chrome
- Reconnolised original leather (done by ex-Connolly employees)
- New carpets
- New West of England headlining
- Refurbished wood by ex-Rolls Royce employees (veneers and lacquer)
The car has been maintained since his acquisition by Frank Dale and Stepsons, and when they found a broken piston 2 years ago, they went into a full engine rebuild costing £34000. The engine has covered a mere 1,500 miles since the rebuild and is running beautifully.
In our showroom and ready for viewing.
Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST
Back to sales vehicles