1930 Lincoln Model L Type 176b Dual Cowl Sports Phaeton

Lincoln Model L Type 176b Dual Cowl Sports Phaeton

Year: 1930
Chassis no: 62876
Registration: BF 8882
Price: £128,000

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1930 Lincoln Model L Type 176b Dual Cowl Sports Phaeton For Sale.

Registration: BF8882

Chassis no: 94222

Mileage shown: 62876

 The Lincoln Motor Company had been founded in 1917 by the great engineer Henry M. Leland and his son Wilfred. After the Great War, Leland's first Lincoln was superbly engineered and built. Introduced in 1921, it was powered by a 358ci (6,306cc) L-head, 60°, V-8 engine. Unlike more conventional V-engines which offset the cylinder banks slightly to make room for adjacent connecting rod bearings on the crank journals, Leland's Model L used expensive, precision-made fork-and-blade connecting rods and disposed the cylinders directly opposite each other. Unusually for the period, Leland's V-8 had full pressure lubrication. 

 However, Leland had an engineer's vision and the bodies which completed his automobiles left something to be desired in the design department. Lincoln tried a quick redesign with a set of twelve body designs by Hermann A. Brunn, but it was too late as dismal sales, the post-WWI recession and an erroneous 4.5 million-dollar tax bill spelled the end of Lincoln. It was bought out of receivership in 1922 by none other than Henry Ford to balance the success of the bare bones Model T with the best-engineered and best-built luxury automobile in America. 

 Ford put his son Edsel, who had an innate sense of style, grace, balance and proportion, in charge of Lincoln and the automobiles soon began to reflect Edsel's vision. Initial production after the takeover consisted of the Model L, where the "L" indicated that it had been designed by Henry and Wilfred Leland. This would remain the catalogue designation until the model was superseded in 1931, a measure of Edsel Ford's respect for Leland, who was called the "Master of Precision".

 This matching numbers 1930 Model L truly is American engineering at its finest, the quiet, smooth and powerful engine pulls you along the road with ease, the drive becomes better mile by mile. The gear change is light and the brakes have more than enough stopping power.

 Useful modifications including an uprated dual venturi downdraft carburettor and an electric fuel pump have been added to aid on long journeys, and all original components come with the car. This powerful V8 is certainly set up and ready for touring, the downdraft carburettor providing comparable performance to the 120hp V-8 engined successor Model K introduced in 1931.

 This car has two desirable Lincoln upgrades - a vacuum brake servo, introduced in the Model K in 1931 and offered as a retrofit to Model L customers, and the desirable Model K Gemmer steering.  

 The Lincoln Type 176b Dual Cowl coachwork is beautifully designed, you really can appreciate the aesthetics of the shape and body lines from every angle. The high quality paint work is finished in a two-tone brown, this is complimented by the light yellow coachline and yellow painted wire wheels. There are, of course white wall tyres fitted and high quality chrome fixtures all around.

 The interior is completed in tan leather to a high standard, with four individual seats, there are lockable door pockets and also lockable solid wood compartments to the rear. The exterior has fender mounted dual spare wheels. The roof is in good condition throughout, comes with its roof ‘top boot’, and there are also detachable side screens, making this Model L fully weather proof. 

In our showroom and ready for viewing.

Office 01375 379719

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :


Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

 

 

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1930 Lincoln Model L Type 176b Dual Cowl Sports Phaeton For Sale.

Registration: BF8882

Chassis no: 94222

Mileage shown: 62876

 The Lincoln Motor Company had been founded in 1917 by the great engineer Henry M. Leland and his son Wilfred. After the Great War, Leland's first Lincoln was superbly engineered and built. Introduced in 1921, it was powered by a 358ci (6,306cc) L-head, 60°, V-8 engine. Unlike more conventional V-engines which offset the cylinder banks slightly to make room for adjacent connecting rod bearings on the crank journals, Leland's Model L used expensive, precision-made fork-and-blade connecting rods and disposed the cylinders directly opposite each other. Unusually for the period, Leland's V-8 had full pressure lubrication. 

 However, Leland had an engineer's vision and the bodies which completed his automobiles left something to be desired in the design department. Lincoln tried a quick redesign with a set of twelve body designs by Hermann A. Brunn, but it was too late as dismal sales, the post-WWI recession and an erroneous 4.5 million-dollar tax bill spelled the end of Lincoln. It was bought out of receivership in 1922 by none other than Henry Ford to balance the success of the bare bones Model T with the best-engineered and best-built luxury automobile in America. 

 Ford put his son Edsel, who had an innate sense of style, grace, balance and proportion, in charge of Lincoln and the automobiles soon began to reflect Edsel's vision. Initial production after the takeover consisted of the Model L, where the "L" indicated that it had been designed by Henry and Wilfred Leland. This would remain the catalogue designation until the model was superseded in 1931, a measure of Edsel Ford's respect for Leland, who was called the "Master of Precision".

 This matching numbers 1930 Model L truly is American engineering at its finest, the quiet, smooth and powerful engine pulls you along the road with ease, the drive becomes better mile by mile. The gear change is light and the brakes have more than enough stopping power.

 Useful modifications including an uprated dual venturi downdraft carburettor and an electric fuel pump have been added to aid on long journeys, and all original components come with the car. This powerful V8 is certainly set up and ready for touring, the downdraft carburettor providing comparable performance to the 120hp V-8 engined successor Model K introduced in 1931.

 This car has two desirable Lincoln upgrades - a vacuum brake servo, introduced in the Model K in 1931 and offered as a retrofit to Model L customers, and the desirable Model K Gemmer steering.  

 The Lincoln Type 176b Dual Cowl coachwork is beautifully designed, you really can appreciate the aesthetics of the shape and body lines from every angle. The high quality paint work is finished in a two-tone brown, this is complimented by the light yellow coachline and yellow painted wire wheels. There are, of course white wall tyres fitted and high quality chrome fixtures all around.

 The interior is completed in tan leather to a high standard, with four individual seats, there are lockable door pockets and also lockable solid wood compartments to the rear. The exterior has fender mounted dual spare wheels. The roof is in good condition throughout, comes with its roof ‘top boot’, and there are also detachable side screens, making this Model L fully weather proof. 

In our showroom and ready for viewing.

Office 01375 379719

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :


Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

 

 

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE AND PRESTIGE OF ESSEX LTD
Company reg. no: 1141 6943